Saturday, April 01, 2006

Ok, so see? I'm posting again! A lot sooner than you thought I know.

A tragedy happened this week in my community and it has really affected me a lot more than I expected. A bus carrying a high school girls soccer team crashed and killed two of the girls, and injured a lot of them. One girl has lost both arms due to this. It was just horrific.

The reason why it affected me so much is two fold. First of all being a new parent. Now that I have a little girl, I just couldn't imagine her not being around anymore. You always hear how horrible it would be and how your kids are supposed to live longer than you. When you actually have a person that you are responsible for bringing in this world, and then raising them through all the heartaches, to never see them again I just don't know if I could deal with that.

Second of all, I think about this whole thing from a teacher's point of view. I just never thought of it from that perspective. Here is someone that I see and am in charge of every day even if just for one class period. I saw them earlier today, maybe scolded her for talking in class or something like that, and now I won't have her homework turned in tomorrow, her seat will be empty in the class, her lab group is one person short. It's not just about being different, it's about a great loss. Even though I've never been a school teacher before, I can already imagine the responsibility I'll feel for each student.

On a much brighter note, Claire has been doing really well. I love her smile. She is so happy. She is also getting really good and fast at turning over. I had her in the very middle of the bed and I was at the end of the bed hanging up laundry. I was watching her and in the time it took me to put a hanger in a shirt while still facing her, she almost rolled off the bed. No lie! I scooped her up when she was about one inch away from the edge--mid turn. Needless to say, from then on I hung up laundry with her on the floor playing quietly!

0 comments: